This Sims 2 blog follows the lives of the Nuidya tribespeople of the southern plains, as they try to survive, thrive and figure out what exactly it means to be a dragonspark. Along the way, there'll be drama, romance, utter silliness, high-fantasy worldbuilder rambling and lots of cats. Just watch out for those storm demons - they're sneaky. :)

Monday, January 05, 2015

Not an easy post...

...in more ways than one. In light of the recent maxismightve trigger warning debate on tumblr, I thought I needed to finally come out and say it: My TS2 playstyle is caught between the conflict between what I really want my game to be like and what I feel I can get away with portraying in a blog, as well as a major life decision I made over the new year.

You see, my depression last summer was due to an overwhelming hatred of the 21st Century. I would much rather live in the Stone Age (seriously), or at least in some kind of hunter-gatherer tribe similar to Kulo Seeri, but I have to content myself with getting as close as I can through my Sims. The one thing that makes modern life semi-bearable for me is creating new cultures that are as unlike the "modern American suburbia" setup EA designed for the Sims series as possible.

And that invariably means adding in elements that people who are OK living in this time might not appreciate me blogging about, and/or taboos against things that are modern standards. Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to stand up and yell "death to censorship!", but I also don't want to start any flame wars.

For example, the Nuidya culture of Kulo Seeri is feeling boringly generic at the moment, but that's because I'm trying not to start a flame war. In my head, though, Nuidya are perfectly fine with polygamy, ritual use of hallucinogenic plants, occasional discrimination based on birth omens and various other things of that sort, expect every tribe member to have earned adult status by the age of 15 and class anyone whose identity or orientation doesn't match their biological gender as part of a separate third gender. (Although that isn't prejudice in the slightest - those Sims are actually revered as having mixed male and female spirits, often becoming shamans or lorekeepers. Trust me, I'm asexual and identify as male - that was the discovery I made around New Year - and that aspect of KS culture doesn't bother me in the slightest.)

And so, dear readers, since I don't feel I can really share the story of my game and play it my own way, I wonder if I should step down from blogging. I have felt for a while that it gets in the way of my game's flow, anyway. I will still be around, reading the blogs I'm already following and downloading shiny CC, but maybe this isn't for me.

*packs bags for another spin round the VT Hiatus Revolving Door*

3 comments:

  1. I'll miss you VT. Your Kulo Seeri really has a different feel to it and I'll miss that. I identify with your frustration with sharing your game and playing it your own way, and that getting in the way of the game's flow for you. I''ve felt torn between a similar feeling and wanting to be part of the simming community ever since I started blogging.

    Have you read the Continuum Concept? It's about parenting and stone age/hunter gatherer cultures. It was one of my favorite parenting books and I still have it even though my kids are just about grown.

    Pre-history has always fascinated me and the hectic-ness of 21st century culture drives me crazy.

    Anyway, best wishes on your continuing journey and much happiness as you seek to live authentically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember blogging should never be a chore. I'm in a season of life right now that my blog posts are published on schedule but I don't have time to answer comments except every few weeks. I'm also at a point where I blog strictly for me, my blog is my hoods history and if no one reads it then that's ok with me. That also means that I'm ok with how my hood is played. If you want to continue blogging and not worry about the opinions of others you can set your blog for private. Huggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Starr that blogging shouldn't be a chore, I'm sorry that it hasn't worked out for you, and that it has added conflict to your play style. I'd also try to not worry about other people's opinions so much, I know you've discussed much here and I've never felt offended nor seen anyone object, but I know I may miss things for certain. Wishing you all the best, and will be here if you ever decide to dabble in blogging again.

    ReplyDelete